Cassiopeia A Supernova Remnant
- This result shows Cassiopeia A (Cas A) coming alive through the third dimension of space. Utilizing a technique borrowed from medical imaging, astronomers now have a way to travel through the heart of Cas A using data from NASA's Chandra and Spitzer telescopes. The different colors shown here correspond to different elements in the debris from the supernova explosion. This ground-breaking visualization of Cas A was made possible through a collaboration with the Astronomical Medicine project based at Harvard.
- Data Source
- Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
- Record ID
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.
We also suggest that users:
- Give attribution to the Smithsonian.
- Contribute back any modifications or improvements.
- Do not mislead others or misrepresent the datasets or its sources.
- Be responsible.