Letter opener for the Black Star Line
- A letter opener carved from ebony wood with a depiction of Kwame Nkrumah at the figurehead terminal and a long, tapered blade with a warm patina. Imprinted into the proper right side of the blade are the words [SHIP WITH BLACK STAR LINE]. There are some nicks and other marks along the blade.
- ca. 1960
- Created by
- Subject of
- Black Star Line, Ghanaian, 1957 - 1999
- Place made
- Ghana, West Africa, Africa
- African American
- See more items in
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Collection
- Tools and Equipment
- Credit Line
- Collection of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Data Source
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Object number
- letter openers
- Restrictions & Rights
- No Known Copyright Restrictions
- Proper usage is the responsibility of the user.
- H x W x D: 8 × 1 × 3/4 in. (20.3 × 2.5 × 1.9 cm)
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.
We also suggest that users:
- Give attribution to the Smithsonian.
- Contribute back any modifications or improvements.
- Do not mislead others or misrepresent the datasets or its sources.
- Be responsible.