- Ewer with design that incorporates many stylized birds and animals. No inscription.
- Previous custodian or owner
- Eugene and Agnes E. Meyer ((1875-1959) and (1887-1970))
- From at least 1926 to 1961
- Eugene Meyer (1875-1959) and Agnes E. Meyer (1887-1970), Washington, DC, and Mt. Kisco, NY, from at least 1926 
- From 1961
- Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Eugene and Agnes E. Meyer in 1961 
-  See H. d'Ardenne de Tizac, L'Art Chinois Classique (Paris: Henri Laurens, 1926), p. 25, pls. 6-7.
-  See Agnes Meyer's Deed of Gift, dated December 21, 1961, copy in object file.
- ca. 1100-1050 BCE
- Probably late Shang dynasty
- Shang dynasty (ca. 1600 - ca. 1050 BCE)
- Anyang period, Late Shang dynasty (ca. 1300 - 1050 BCE)
- Chinese Art
- Related Online Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- See more items in
- Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Collection
- Credit Line
- Gift of Eugene and Agnes E. Meyer
- Data Source
- Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
- Accession Number
- Restrictions & Rights
- H x W x D: 32.2 × 32.2 × 15.7 cm (12 11/16 × 12 11/16 × 6 3/16 in)
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage
Related Object Groups
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.
We also suggest that users:
- Give attribution to the Smithsonian.
- Contribute back any modifications or improvements.
- Do not mislead others or misrepresent the datasets or its sources.
- Be responsible.
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.