Rutherford B. Hayes
- Exhibition Label
- In the summer of 1876, sculptor Olin Warner tried to interest the two major political parties in commissioning busts of their presidential candidates to be replicated for campaigning. The Republican camp, which was having a hard time drumming up interest in the rather colorless Rutherford B. Hayes, took advantage of the proposal. At least one Hayes supporter pinned great hopes on the resulting likeness's ability to persuade a so-far doubting public that Hayes was "a man of power." The venture for replicating the bust on a large scale, however, never went very far, and only a few copies were ever made.
- Carlyle Jones; gift to the National Collection of Fine Arts (now Smithsonian American Art Museum) 1974; transferred to NPG 1976
- See more items in
- National Portrait Gallery Collection
- Object number
- Credit Line
- National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian Institution; transfer from the Smithsonian American Art Museum; gift of Mrs. Carlyle Jones, 1974
- Olin Levi Warner, 9 Apr 1844 - 14 Aug 1896
- Rutherford Birchard Hayes, 4 Oct 1822 - 17 Jan 1893
- Personal Attribute\Facial Hair\Mustache
- Personal Attribute\Facial Hair\Beard
- Rutherford Birchard Hayes: Male
- Rutherford Birchard Hayes: Law and Law Enforcement\Lawyer
- Rutherford Birchard Hayes: Politics and Government\President of US
- Rutherford Birchard Hayes: Military\Army\Officer\Brigadier General
- Rutherford Birchard Hayes: Politics and Government\US Congressman\Ohio
- Rutherford Birchard Hayes: Politics and Government\Governor\Ohio
- With Socle: 27.3 x 24.8 x 12.7cm (10 3/4 x 9 3/4 x 5")
- Base: 8.9 x 8.9cm (3 1/2 x 3 1/2")
- Data Source
- National Portrait Gallery
- Restrictions & Rights
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.
We also suggest that users:
- Give attribution to the Smithsonian.
- Contribute back any modifications or improvements.
- Do not mislead others or misrepresent the datasets or its sources.
- Be responsible.