- Supernova remnant IC 443 shows the ejecta distribution approximately 8400 years after the supernova occurred. The toroidal purple structure represents a molecular cloud of the interstellar medium with which the blast wave of the remnant interacts. The small pink sphere marks the position of the pulsar wind nebula, detected in X-rays.
- Description Credit: Salvatore Orlando (INAF-Osservatorio Astronomico di Palermo) & NASA/CXC/SAO/A.Jubett et al.
- Data Source
- Smithsonian Institution, Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
- Record ID
- Metadata Usage
Related Object Groups
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.
We also suggest that users:
- Give attribution to the Smithsonian.
- Contribute back any modifications or improvements.
- Do not mislead others or misrepresent the datasets or its sources.
- Be responsible.